Wisła Kraków was founded in 1906 when students of the Second Practical School in Kraków, inspired by their professor Tadeusz Łopuszański, formed a football team.
From 1949 the club was renamed more time (Gwardia-Wisła Kraków, GTS Wisła). In the late 1990’s the club was renamed Wisła Kraków SSA.
The club's coat of arms is a white star on a red background crossed by a blue ribbon.
Wisła Kraków is one of the oldest and most successful Polish football clubs. It is the third most successful Polish cluband second as far as all time victories, it won 13 national titles. In recent years won 8 Polish league championships since 1999.
Along with league titles Wisła also won the Polish Cup on 4 occasions. Wisła also enjoyed some success in European competition in the 1970’s, reaching the quarter-finals in the 1978-‘79 European Cup and winning the UEFA Intertoto Cup in 1969, 1970, and 1973.